Saturday, July 26, 2008

Atoning Lesson from the Garden

So, as you have probably figured out, I do my best thinking when working in my yard/garden. I spent a VERY LONG time working in my yard the other day. I thought a lot about the line between defending God and myself, and how best to deal with such situations.

There lives in our neighborhood a child who sometimes chooses to be less kind than the average little girl. Taite often catches the brunt of this child's unkind words and actions. I've watched as Taite has sat back dumbfounded when the little girl has said, "Go away, Taite. You're not with us." Taite just doesn't get it. I see Taite trying to work through it in her mind just sure that she misheard the other girl because NO ONE talks that way!

It's been four years now of Taite being uneasy around this little girl. Taite is not the only one to suffer little hurts caused by this child. Taite has often come home from church telling me of instances when this little girl has caused other children to cry. But I think we've found a solution! I remembered hearing a story of President Spencer W. Kimball asking an unknown man to watch his words.

"In the hospital one day I was wheeled out of the operating room by an attendant who stumbled, and there issued from his angry lips vicious cursing with a combination of the names of the Savior. Even half-conscious, I recoiled and implored: 'Please! Please! That is my Lord whose names you revile.'"

I also thought of the story Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin told in General Conference this past April.

"I remember when I was young, there was an older boy who was physically and mentally disabled. He had a speech impediment and walked with difficulty. The boys used to make fun of him. They teased and taunted him until sometimes he would cry.
I can still hear his voice: 'You’re not kind to me,' he said. And still they would ridicule him, push him, and make jokes about him. One day I could bear it no longer. Although I was only seven years old, the Lord gave me the courage to stand up to my friends. 'Don’t touch him,” I said to them. “Stop teasing him. Be kind. He is a child of God!'"

I also remember reading of the Savior defending a harlot in the streets just before she was stoned to death. In John 8:6-7 we read the Savior's reaction,

"But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger awrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

I have realized that truth is truth no matter what. No matter where it is stated. No matter by whom. Truth must be declared, and untruth must be dispelled. However, as in each aforementioned example it can be done in kind ways. I love that President Kimball started his with not once, but twice imploring, "Please." I like that Elder Wirthlin didn't retaliate with rude comments, insults, or unkind accusations. He merely reminded the other boys of the infinite worth of each of us. And, finally, with our Master I love the many lessons we learn from his experience. He pauses before speaking, and thus teaches us to think before reacting. He writes in the sand of the street, and thus teaches us that just like the words he is writing in the dust, all sins can disappear in the wind. He reminds the accusers that all men on Earth are incapabale of perfection, but as He does with the harlot, He can and will save us.

After thinking things over for a long time I sat down with Taite to discus how best to deal with the little girl in our neighborhood. I told her that we will all experience unkind things in our life, and we will intentionally and/or unintentionally cause pain to others. This is inevitable, and a part of Heavenly Father's plan for us. I reminded her that Jesus Christ was perfect, yet some very mean people chose to kill him. The Savior didn't do one single thing wrong, but was killed just the same. The big part of that is that He chose to forgive them. WOW!
In 3 Nephi 27:27 we read the Savior's words, "Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am." I continued talking with Taite, and asked her what that means to her. We decided together that if we want to become like Christ we must try to live like Him, and even endure as He endured. I like the way Uncle Keith explained this in General Conference, October 2006.

"As we are called upon to endure suffering, sometimes inflicted upon us intentionally or negligently, we are put in a unique position—if we choose, we may be allowed to have new awareness of the suffering of the Son of God. While Alma tells us that Christ suffered all that any of us will ever have to suffer that He might know how to succor us, the reverse may also be true: that our suffering may allow us insight into the depth and magnitude of His atoning sacrifice."

Does this mean we allow others to bully and taunt us and/or anyone else around us? I don't think so. This is just my opinion, but I believe we are to stand for truth and righteousness no matter what.

Mosiah 18:9, "Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—"

I think, if done with pure hearts and honest intentions we can kindly remind people of the divine heritage of each of us. I told Taite, "By simply putting your finger to your lips, and whispering, 'Shhhhh...' to the little girl whenever she tries to say something negative to anyone you will be reminding her and everyone else that we are all children of God. It will most likely put an end to any hurtful words. And nothing else need be said that may cause further pain."

The following Sunday Taite put our experiement to the test, and wouldn't you know... it worked perfectly!

2 comments:

Anna B said...

You are so knowledgeable! How do you come up with all those quotes and scriptures. I think you gave Taite great advice, I'm glad it worked.

The Pili Aiga said...

Well said Lyndee. You're a great Mom for sure...maybe you should write a book! I'd read it :)