Monday, April 7, 2008

Sleep

Sometimes I can't sleep. I just can't. I lay in bed trying to sleep, but it doesn't happen. I go through a couple of weeks of this, and then I'm okay for about a month. I'm in one of the non-sleeping periods right now. Friday Night I fell asleep at 2:30. Saturday Night I was awake until 5AM. Last night I finally slept at 2:00. However, at 5:15 I heard a quiet, little cry, and then Redge ask, "Are you scared?" I then heard Arthur answer something. I couldn't quite get what he said, but Redge did, and he repeated what he believed our boy to have said, "You were scared by a bear?" Relieved he was being understood he replied, "Yes." Then, with as much strength and volume he could find in his tiny, frightened body at 5AM, he said unmistakingly clear, "I got aten by a bear, and Daddy didn't even care!" Redge reached down to help Arthur climb into our bed, all the while assuring our boy of his love and concern for our youngest child. Arthur snuggled in with us, and whimpered as I whispered to him of his importance in our family. Arthur listened intently, and occassionally asked questions like, "Do bears live in this state?" "Can bears really come in our house?" "Mama, do bears know how to get to our house?" We created a bear attack plan which is: If a bear comes to our house and tries to get in we will lock the doors, and run to a bathroom with a cell phone to call the following people to come to our home and shoot the bear; 911, Brad Sneed, Tony Hansen, Brother Metcalf, Brother Dedrickson, Brother Judkins, Brother De Grey, Bishop Farrer, Brother Beratto, Brother Lee ("He has a bear gun AND a sword! Remember, Mama, he bringed it at pack meeting?), Grandpa Bird, Uncle Jeff, Uncle George, and Uncle Heath ("Because he has sharp machetes. Right, Mama?")

I was so grateful to learn that despite the fact that Arthur was afraid because of dream he had in which his Daddy could have saved him from pain, Arthur still knew to come to his Daddy for comfort. It made me think about my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I; like everyone who has walked, will walk, and is now walking on this earth; have experienced pain, anguish, fear, etc. Every single time I experience adversity I find myself on my knees begging my Heavenly Father to spare me the pain. Sometimes He does, sometimes He doesn't. During the times He allows me to feel the pain I get to make the same decision Arthur did. "Do I lay here in my own bed being scared, or do I go to my Father (who could have prevented this pain in the first place) for comfort?

It's really humbing to learn such a cool lesson from my 5 year old. Especially when it's my job to teach him to go to our Savior. I love the scripture,

2 Nephi 25:26 "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."

Everytime I fear I know I need to look to my Savior. I know I shouldn't fear. I know all is well. I know when I fear I need to look to the Lord, repent, and lean on my faith, testimony, and knowledge of the atonement because I have been promised,

Doctrine and Covenants 122:7, "7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good."

It's nice to know my kids are around to teach me.

5 comments:

The White Clan said...

Thanks for that. I really needed the reminder. Our kids are amazing, and they teach us so much everyday, we just have to listen to their sweet little voices. Bad dreams seem to be the best way to teach them of ours, and our Heavenly Fathers love for them. Love ya Lynt, nice to have you back to the blogging world.

susan said...

Let's get together. Maybe we can bake cookies or make aprons. Or maybe you can just teach me again.
I have the perfect wall to hang the bear when you kill it....

The Pili Aiga said...

Thanks for posting again Lynd!!! I love hearing what's going on with you. Beautiful writing in this piece. You could almost give this in a talk...well written~ Don't you love your children and how they can bring everything to light in just a few moments of sweetness?

The Pili Aiga said...

Thanks for posting again Lynd!!! I love hearing what's going on with you. Beautiful writing in this piece. You could almost give this in a talk...well written~ Don't you love your children and how they can bring everything to light in just a few moments of sweetness?

Sherrie said...

Lyndee I love this post. It is such a sweet story. I was so excited to find your blog. I need your address,Phone number, and e-mail I don't have any of them anymore. I couldn't send you a christmas card or Alicia graduation card. Your Christmas card was sent back to us last year. Here is my e-mail.
ten4eternity@gmail.com. Children are so sweet and can teach us so much. I love being a wife and Mom. I have enjoyed reading your blog. Miss you. I can't believe how grown up your kids are. I would love to be able to go on there blogs. I'm so excited to keep in contact again. I saw us on your site. Can you believe how big my kids are? I want to freeze them!!!!!
love, Sherrie