Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Vegas Girl in Zion's Court

Last week in my American Literature class we finished reading Mark Twain's
"A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", and we were asked to rate ourselves regarding where we stand in the gammet of cynism to realism to romanticism. First, I had to decide how I define each of these, then where Heavenly Father would like me stand, and finally conclude where it is I find myself today. This was pretty difficult!


Cynic(Webster's definition)- a person who believes that only selfishness motivates human actions and who disbelieves in or minimizes selfless acts or disinterested points of view.
Cynic (Lyndee's definition)- a bitter person; one without hope. A cynic likes to use phrases such as, "Yeah- right!" and "Keep dreaming!"

Realist (Webster's definition)- a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are.
Realist (Lyndee's definition)- a person who BELIEVES he things as they really are. A realist likes to use phrases like, "Oh yeah?" and "It is what it is".

Romantic (Webster's definition)- fanciful; impractical; unrealistic.
Romantic (Lyndee's definition)- fanciful; hopeful; a bit unrealistic.
Romantics use phrases like, "We're going to get married, and live happily ever after!" and "I will have the PERFECT life!" (and she means PERFECT- without trials or adversity). Romantics generally speak in a futuristic style, or they speak of things without immediate connection to themselves.

I decided that for me Heavenly Father wants me to be a realist with the hope of a romantic eternity.

This is what I decided for myself:

I wish I could be a bit more romantic, and maybe tomorrow I will be. Who knows? So is the life of one with bi-polar disorder. I do think I lean more to the cynical side of life. However, I used to be such a romantic! Life changes a person. And, I'm only 37! I've seen things, probably no worse than the things every person in this class sees throughout their individual lives, but I believe I allow my experiences to dent my soul more than I should. I shouldn't be such a cynic. I know that everyday I wake up, and I earnestly pray that I will see the Lord's hand in my life, and I do.
I pray that I will lean on my faith and hope in my Savior, Jesus Christ. But, then reality steps in to my life, and it all goes asunder! I have difficulty believing I will find happiness in this earthly life. In 2 Nephi 2:25 we read, "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."
Everytime I read this I feel so bleak. I "might" have joy. "Might". That doesn't mean now, or for sure. It's a matter of enduring, obeying, serving, loving, etc. Arrrggghhhh! I have moments- few and far between- that offer glimpses of joy and peace, but I honestly see this mortal portion of my eternal life as pretty Hellacious. I just want it over and done with. I want out. I want the next phase of eternity to start NOW!
I want to be at my Savior's feet, learning, feeling His love, being accepted for who I am - for the first time ever. But, that's not enduring to the end. So, I stick with this life, for the time being, and pray that I can see bits of eternity here and now- just enough to get me through one more day. I've decided to look to the example of Esther.
What an amazing woman of faith. I want to become more like her. Then I won't have to worry whether I'm a cynic, a realist, or a romantic. I can answer, "I'm Lyndee. I'm a Christian. I am a Woman of Virtue."

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Lyndee,

What a thoughtful and sincere post. You touched my heart and very pointedly expressed some of the same feelings I have felt about this mortal probation at times in my own life. I think we all feel at times what you described in your post..the idea that we are ready for our Heavenly state to begin and rid ourselves of the pain, sorrow, stress that we experience here in mortality. It is comforting to know that we are not alone though. Our Savior knows our sorrows as well as our joys all too well. It is also comforting to know that we as Sisters in Zion have so much in common as we strive to stand together as daughters of God! Thank you today for sharing these thoughts...you are awesome girlfriend!

Unknown said...

I would like to tell you that you have given much knowledge about it.also would recommend to choose residential property in
Aranya Homes Noida
for best deals,also recommends to invest inEldeco Property in Noidafor best return on investment.this is my personnel opinion and experience.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the ideas. I like your blog. I also have information about Hubtown Iris, Mira Road, Mumbai. Find More information of this Project like Prices, Specifications, price list, Floor Plans on Favista.com.Hubtown Iris

Anonymous said...

I always read your informative blog post. I like your blog. I have some information about a real estate project Experion The Heartsong Sector 108, Gurgaon. Get Details like Prices, resale, Floor Plans on Favista.com.Experion Heartsong

Anonymous said...

Great blog really enjoyed reading it. Have bookmarked you and will check back regular. Please feel free to take a look at my blog... Vatika INXT Floors

Anonymous said...

This is very informative blog...Thanks for sharing with us. I have also avail information about the best new project Vatika INXT