Monday, December 8, 2008

I Can't Find My TicTacs!!!

In studying the Book of Mormon sometimes I wonder, "Why did this bit of information make the cut?" Throughtout the Book of Mormon we read things like, "I do not write it all here." Then, we know that Mormon did some pretty major abridgments before handing over the plates to his son, Moroni. Now, I need to make sure that anyone reading this doesn't mistake any of my comments for questioning what should have been written in the plates. That is not my intent. I know the Book of Mormon is true! I know that exactly what Heavenly Father wants us to have at this time is written within its pages. I only ask, "Why did this bit of information make the cut?" because I'm not smart enough to get out of it what Father intends. The miscommunication is definitely on my end, not on the end of Heavenly Father.

Let me try showing you what I mean. What's Nephi's wife's name? I don't know either. I can't find it anywhere in the Book of Mormon. Does omitting her name mean she isn't worthy of being mentioned? By not mentioning her name does it mean Nephi doesn't love her, or is it just because she's a woman that makes her unworthy of mentioning? My answer to all three of these questions is absolutely NOT!!! I have no idea why we don't know her name. Maybe because it isn't necessary to our salvation, maybe Nephi was trying to protect her, maybe her name is really long and hard to spell and pronounce like the Brother of Jacob's name. The one thing I do know about it is, and I quote Pahoran, "It mattereth not."

For me, Heavenly Father often gives me the opportunity to decided what really matters. There's a line from the movie "You've Got Mail" that I use quite often. Tom Hanks' character is stuck in an elevator with his girlfriend (played by Parker Posey), and the elevator dude. The two men are making some real discoveries for themselves about themselves. They have life changing experiences.

At that point Parker Posey's character shakes her bag, and yells, "I can't find my tic tacs!" Whenever I find myself upset about something which "mattereth not" I stop and yell, "I can't find my TicTacs!" Redge and Reece laugh at me, and the universe once again balances itself.

So, as I was reading in 1 Nephi last night I got to chapter 16 where Nephi's bow breaks. Every time I get to this point I lose my breath when I read, "And also my father began to murmur against the Lord his God."

Up to this point all we know about Lehi is like totally amazingly good stuff! He's a prophet, he's obedient, he loves his family. In fact, just earlier in this chapter, in verse 8, Nephi writes, "And thus my father had fulfilled all the commandments of the Lord which had been given unto him." This is incredible! I know I certainly have not fulfilled every commandment given me of the Lord! But then, Lehi slips. Its like a dagger in my heart every single time!



The first few times I read this about Lehi I asked, "Why did this make the cut? Why couldn't this have been omitted during an abridgement?" But, I'm pretty sure I know why. Because "It Mattereth." It's there for me. It's there for me to know that absolutely no person on Earth; with the obvious exception of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ; is perfect. Not Lehi, not Peter, not Nephi's no-name wife, not Sister Hinckley, not Sister Monson, and definitely not Lyndee Edwards Hudson. But, there is hope for EVERYONE!

So, when my house is a little messy I can say, "It mattereth not." And when I get frustrated with my kids I can say, "Well, that mattereth, but just like Lehi, I too can repent." Yep, the Book of Mormon is one good, true book. I'm so grateful for it and the teachings found inside. It balances me. It keeps my priorities in order. It teaches me, pushes me, and helps me become a better person.

Mostly,I guess, The Book of Mormon either helps me find my TicTacs, or helps me decide I never needed them in the first place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its very nice. I always read your informative posts. I want to add A real estate project BPTP Parklands Pride, Sector77, Faridabad. Find More information of this Project like Payment Plans, reviews, Specifications, prices on Favista.com.BPTP Parklands Pride Faridabad