Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Curious George the Complete Works by Margaret Rey


My friend, Susan, bought this for my oldest son, Reece, before he was even born. All four of my children have loved it, but my youngest, Arthur, is especially enamored with the naughty little monkey (probably because he has an uncle named "George," and my husband calls our children his "Monkeys." Arthur, now in first grade, still loves to curl up with me and this fabulous classic. The stories are lengthy, longer than than the abridged versions available now, but that's just so much the better! This complete compilation of the original versions is absolutely perfect for a rainy day, or to be read over several days. Reading with my kids is my absolute favorite pasttime, and as my kids get older it's hard to find books they all enjoy. This one spans years, ages, and genders. I wish Margaret Rey was still alive so I could tell her, "Thank you! Thank you so much for writing a book that makes my very important job as a mom so much easier because I know how much reading with my kids helps them in their lives!" But, since she has passed away, may she rest in peace, I have only to thank Susan for knowing and loving my family so much, and being wise enough to give us this amazing piece of literature that has now become a family tradition.

No comments: