Monday, June 16, 2008

Gardening Lesson #3

Last week I missed three days of working in the yard/garden. I watered the vegetables, but the weeds and the front yard were left to their own natural instincts. Not such a great idea. I generally spend a couple of hours each day working outside, more if I can justify it. However, last week Redge and I actually cleaned the office, we had book club, and it was Rockwell's spirit week. So, sadly I neglected my outdoor projects.

Finally, Saturday I found some time to try and get caught up a little bit. WOW!!! I won't be skipping 3 days again! Not only did I have tons of weeds, but, I had tons of dead blooms to pinch, millions of sticks to pick up from our neighbors twisty willow, bent flowers to reinforce, and a couple of yellowing spots in the grass that needed some special attention. What generally takes 2 hours to do on a daily basis is still not complete due to my neglect. I worked for 3 hours on Saturday, and I have several hours of work awaiting me today. I won't be ignoring my garden like that anytime soon!

Yep, you guessed it. Another analogy. I realized my relationship with my Savior and Redge is a lot the same as my relationship with my garden. When I place my garden as priority I am able to easily stay on top of what needs to be done. I can accomplish my chores in a reasonable amount of time. I also get so much from my garden. I love being in the front yard watching Redge and the kids play football, soccer, frisbee, baseball, etc. while I water, weed, and work among the flowers. My flowers and green lawn make me happy. I don't know why. I can't really explain it, but it just makes me happy. Being outside soothes me. As we all know, I'm a bit of a spaz. I have many problems. I know I do. I can admit it. But, being outside does something for me. It calms me. It lifts me. It makes me a better Lyndee. In addition to what I get "now" from outdoor work, it is also a huge investment in the future. Everytime I come in from outside I think things like, "Woo-hoo! By thinning and spreading my irises, next year I will have even more color in the yard!" "That was so fun swapping some of my overgrown flowers with some of Jen's overgrown flowers. We had such a good chit chat, and now next year our yards will both be more beautiful!" "I'm so glad I finally have the entire garden planted! I can't wait for harvest time!" Yep, there is much to be gained from consistent work in my yard.

There is also much to be gained from consistent work at my relationship with my Savior. You know that feeling when you go to get in bed at night, and you realize you didn't read scriptures that day? I know this feeling all too well. I'm so tired, I just want to lay down. I lay in bed weighing the consequences of not studying my scriptures and/or praying, and then I began to remember the events of the day. I see it like a movie. I yelled at Taite for not loading the dishes before my visiting teachers arrived, I slammed the door because Arthur forgot to close it on his way to Caleb's, I'm short with Seth when he asks me again to explain a math problem, I freak out when I see that Reece did a load of wash with only 3 items of clothes so he could wear a specific pair of shorts the following day to school because it's free dress day, and I pout when Redge comes home late from work. I realize that if I had just taken the time to sit and study my scriptures as I should have done things probably would have gone quite differently. But, instead I rationalized, "I just need to get this load of laundry in, I'll read right after that." "I'll study my scriptures as soon as I make my bed." "I promised the kids I would take them swimming, I'll read as soon as we're back." Then, as I'm trying to crawl into bed I feel guilty that my choices effected my entire family. You see, scripture study does to me what my flowers do for me. It makes me happy. Studying my scriptures soothes me, calms, and lifts me. It makes me a better Lyndee. I feel sheepish as I kneel down, repent, and ask for more strength tomorrow because now I'm stuck playing catch up. I need to gain what I lost. Apologize to the kids, get back on track, etc. Basically, pull the weeds that grew by not remembering my Savior, pick up the sticks left by the my own howling wind, and like my bent flowers in my garden~ I need to reinforce my love for my kids. Luckily, kids seem to forgive like the Savior. They accept my repentance, and are always willing to start over. There's no need to mention the investment in my future made by consistent scripture study and meaningful prayer.

Even more importantly, I find myself neglecting Redge. A week ago last Saturday, after being at Youth Conference for several days, Redge came home to a messy house. I kept apologizng for the mess, and he finally said, "Please stop talking about the house. Just tell me you're glad to have me home." Of course, the ideal scenario would be that he came home to clean house, bathed children, and a yummy dinner. However, all he wanted was a bit of my time. Just like my garden and the Savior, all Redge needs is some attention. What would it be like if everytime I heard the garage door open (knowing it's Redge) I left whatever I was doing, and ran to greet him with a hug and a kiss? As it is now, Redge hunts me down to greet me. What if the table were set for dinner, and at least the family room was picked up? What if I had some nice music playing for him (this isn't soothing for all husbands, but music does for Redge what gardening does for me)? What if I occasionally asked Redge on a date, or to go for a walk instead of waiting for him to take care of all that stuff? I'm thinking I would find that consistent cultivation of my reltionship with Redge would bring me peace, comfort, and happiness. I'm sure seeing my pretty flowers wouldn't be able to compare to the happiness in my life if every day for two hours I placed Redge as my number one priority.

No comments: