Sunday, March 8, 2009

Fat Tuesday!

So, on Monday, February 23rd, I received a phone call from Rockwell (Reece's School) asking me to come in the following day, Fat Tuesday, to teach a little bit about Mardi Gras! This is like the best request, for me, EVER!!! For those of you who don't know... I love New Orleans! I ABSOLUTELY love it! I love the history there. I love ambiance. I love the charm. I love the way I feel when I'm there. I went to New Orleans for the first time when I was 14. I was in a symphony, and we were asked to perform in New Orleans. It was an amazing experience. I stayed with a Catholic family, and I learned so much from them. They taught me about Mardi Gras, and I relate so well to what they taught me.

New Orleans and Mardi Gras are so much like Las Vegas. All founded on freedom and religious bases, but in the eyes of many they have become something unsavory and sinister. That's such a shame.

When I was speaking with the kids about New Orleans and Mardi Gras I asked them what they know about it, and the answers were pretty icky. As I related to them the real meaning behind Mardi Gras, and the background of New Orleans I saw lights go on inside them! I LOVE truth! Truth brings light!

I told them I was from Las Vegas, and I asked them what they knew of my home town. Again, the answers weren't all that positive. The one answer that astounded me most was, "Freedom." I asked her specifically what made her think "Freedom" about Las Vegas. She answered, "The Strip." I explained to her that when I think of Las Vegas I also think, "Freedom," but not for the same reason. I told them that I think "Freedom" because in Las Vegas I'm okay to be "Just Lyndee" where as it has been so difficult being accepted as "Just Lyndee" since I moved to Utah. I also think of the Las Vegas Temple, where I was married 15 years ago. That brings me freedom. However, when I think about The Strip I think the OPPOSITE of "Freedom". Instead, I thinking "Slavery." I've seen what addictions do to people. I've seen how infidelity wrecks families and lives. I've seen effects of vices.

I find it REALLY interesting how well Satan does his job. He takes good things like New Orleans, Las Vegas, and Mardi Gras, and turns them into dirty, naughty, gross things. It hurts my heart. However, I choose to continue loving these things because of what I see there. I love the scripture found in 1 Ne. 15:27. Nephi is interpreting his father's dream and writes, "And I said unto them that the water which my father saw was filthiness; and so much was his mind swallowed up in other things that he beheld not the filthiness of the water."

So, I'm probably naughty, and I definitely need to repent, but when people wrinkle their noses, or don't let their kids play with mine because we're "from Las Vegas," I just like to ask, "Where is your mind? What are you choosing as your focus? My mind is swallowed up by other things. I see not what you see." Please pray for me.



















7 comments:

The White Clan said...

You look amazing! And it makes me just sick how big Reece is. Man are we old!

The Vegas thing....I defend it all the time. I really like living in Utah but I miss the strength of the church there. It is totally different than people that have ever lived there will ever know.

But this is what I wanted to say....When I read your post title I thought of our Cali trip and how Kristin said "Lyndee your not fat, your just pleasently plump." I still can't believe she said that.

Jess ♥'s Joel said...

Um, who is that boy in the white t- shirt? No WAY it is Reece. He is 10 months old and does "touchdown" and wants soup. He is NOT taller than his mother. So sad how fast that goes! But, i bet he is an amazing teenager. And Lyndee, I just ♥ ya! You are such a passionate person!

supermanns said...

Yeah you should definately repent... YOU lied tome and my kids that you were coming thursday and now I hear it might be friday YOU HAVE TO TELL them. and good job setting Reeces friends straight on Vegas maybe you should just move back!!!!

Karen said...

Oh my short!

Michelle said...

I love you, Lynee!!!! This is a great post. My favorite photo of you is the second one down. Love the look on your face. And I love VEGAS!!! It's a real shame, huh? A little close minded here and there but that's OK. You're awesome. And what's up w/ E.R.??? He's taller than you! "Wan-ee! I like toast!"

Unknown said...

hey lady i am so glad we were able to get together today! i cant wait till we get together next week! oh and i did a lil cardio in the gym i have at my complex...which pretty much sucks,but i did what i could!love you!

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. I always read your informative blog post. I have some information about real estate project Vatika Tranquil Heights, Sector 82A, Gurgaon. Get Details like Price List, site plan, Floor Plans, photos, Specifications, on Favista.com.Vatika Tranquil Heights