Monday, September 1, 2008

In the Weeds

I love Joy in the Garden. I like listening to her on KNRS AM 570 each Saturday at 9AM. I love digging for information on her website: joyinthegarden.com. A few years ago while researching how best to get rid of dandelions and morning glory I found her best advice regarding these noxious weeds, "The best way to get rid of these weeds is to never let them in your garden in the first place." So true.

So, after 3 years, I'm almost completely rid of dandelions and morning glory, but let me tell you it has been a fight! I share a property line with a family who is not quite so concerned with weeds as I. They mow, trim, and keep their lawn looking nice, but instead of ridding their lawn of dandelions they just mow over them when they begin popping up. I found that my most difficult weed battle occurs near our common property line.

At first I was really frustrated with the ever growing weeds, but then I realized the answer is actually quite simple. I had to stretch my lawn border about 3 feet into the other family's yard. So, I started killing weeds beyond the borders of my own yard, and guess what??? Weeds ceased popping up in my yard!

I thought about how much this is like my home. If I want my home to be free of weeds, I have to kill them beyond the walls of my own home. For instance, if I want to radiate the light of Christ so my children can feel the spirit then I can't go to movies that don't bring out the best in me, but if I spend more time at the temple I will be able to show my kids how truth really is happiness. If I want my kids to come home from school, friends, work, etc., weed free I have to ensure they don't go places that cultivate weed growth. Church, FHE, scripture study, etc. all spray a fine misty layer of weed killer on my kids so that when they leave my home hopefully they won't come back saturated with weed pollen.

Man, there are times when this life seems beyond my capabilities, but then I work in my garden, and I remember the simpleness of the gospel, and all my troubles seem to shrink to their correct sizes, and I know, "All is Well."

No comments: