Friday, March 21, 2008

Why I love Susan Webb Hansen

If you don't know Susan, you should! Susan Webb Hansen is the best!!! Everybody wants to be Susan's friend, and for some reason~ unknown to me, she chose me! I made the cut! Susan has been my friend for 18 years. I just realized that I have know her half my life! Wow! I like to tell my kids that I have had Susan longer than I have had Redge. That really amazes them! Susan is great for many reasons, and I was going to try to give you the top 3, but I'll have to go with the top five.

1~ She is so crazy in love with her husband, Danny. I don't know if any of you have experienced watching your friends go through divorces~ I have. It's very depressing! Susan and Danny are just as crazy about each other now as they were when they met 16 years ago. I was so grateful to see how well Danny treated Susan, and still treats her. I love seeing successful marriages. When I see marriages like Susan's I lose some of the depression I get when I hear about another divorce. Susan's marriage strengthens me, my marriage, my family, and my testimony of our Savior. I have tried to figure out what it is that really makes Susan's marriage special, and I have come up with the following:
~they put one another before themselves, they are a total team
~they respect one another's families
~they compromise (Dan hates color, but has let Susan paint the walls. Susan isn't all that into hunting, but has let Danny hang a quail in their front room, and an owl downstairs in the family room. Not to mention the scalps of a few other animals strewn about the house.)
~they love their kids
~they love the Good Lord Jesus
2~Susan is an amazing mother! She plays with her kids, reads to her kids, discusses things with her kids, knows her kids, and really likes her kids. Of course she loves her kids, but she really likes them as people. She chooses them as her friends.
3~Susan is a sister. There are a lot of kids in Susan's family, and only two of them are brothers. I love all of Susan's sisters: Linda Sue, Eileen, Kathleen, Sherri, Karen, Michele, and Bedge. Their are truly some of the kindest people I know, and they completely accept me for who am I, and trust me~ they have seen me at my worst (at breakfast, and right outside the MGM.)
4~Susan is loyal! You'd better never hurt someone Susan loves, because if you do, you will never be able to make it right! She'll forgive you, but the pain you cause people in her life is a pain she lives with forever! She feels everything that others feel, and it hurts her just as deeply.
5~Just because I'm listing this one as #5 doesn't mean it is in last place. Susan's cookies! Ahhhhhh... Susan makes the best cookies EVER! Sugar cookies that never go hard, and she always adds extra frosting to mine. In the words of Ralphie May, "Icing is quite possibly the most underrated invention of mankind!" I love Susan's cookies, and the best part of it is they are not the easiest things to make, nor are they Susan's favorite thing to make, but she does it. She makes them for me whenever I need a little pick-me-up, and it works every time! I know when she shows up with cookies she's telling me, "I love you, and I made these cookies for you! I didn't love doing it, but you're worth it." Just last Sunday I was sitting on the floor in my family room sorting through my piles of books~ feeling a bit uncomfortable because Redge was having a YM/YW meeting in the other room, and Susan showed up at my door with her adorable kids, and a GIANT plate of Sue~Sue cookies. (My kids all call her Aunt Sue~Sue, even Reece.) Nothing in the world makes me feel so at peace than laying in my bed reading a good book, Redge laying next to me watching the Sci-fi channel while we share a great big plate of Sue~Sue cookies!
Man, I love Susan! Oh~ did I mention she's a twin! I'm crazy about twins, and the fact that she is a twin makes her even better!

2 comments:

susan said...

I have known you about this long, why haven't you introduced us?


By the way, it's BDJ like LEH not Bedge like Redge. (ha ha!)

Thanks, you are the best!!!

Karen said...

A quail and an owl? Where have I been?